Monday, 18 June 2007

The Cyber Delusion

We live in a world of cyberfucked reality ... of pre-meditated language concretized by computers. We don’t understand real relationships anymore :

Shall we be friends? Sure! Just look at my picture. Think I look friendly? Hot? Add me to your list. Your long list of friends. Your long list of friends and your database of memories. Connected not by emotion but by a clickable link. I’m not empty. I have 16,000 friends. I have their pictures to prove it. I have every little lie they put down in their profile to back up their worth and mine...

1. Why the hell would anyone WANT 16,000 friends? That's a helluva lot of people to cater for if you were to throw a party.

2. Why the hell is our national paper deeming this kind of nonsense important enough to put on the front page?

3. Since Celeste Chen has so many friends, all of whom are affluent enough to be online, I think at least ONE of them should have the decency to buy her a comb and save the rest of us the visual agony.

Why would people want to be randomly connected to everyone in the world? Many of us can barely handle getting on public transport without a pair of headphones to help us escape the physical reality of being surrounded by SO. MANY. PEOPLE. Add a stranger to your list of "friends"??? You could very well be adding the guy you glared at on the 76 for coughing in your face or rubbing up against your ass.

Social networking sites that net strangers together in a big anonymous mass will always puzzle me. But not more than the people who join them. How much of a loser do you have to be to sit in the solitude of your own reflection, amassing 16,000 avatars?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. of all the 16,000 friends, none of them can afford to buy them a comb?! you should put a link up to amazon.com for a selectoin of combs. ranging from fifty cents to maybe a dollar.

xoxo
orgams, spams and wet pits.

Binty McShae said...

I agree... but will you be my friend?

Love me, people, love me!!!